Thursday, September 25, 2008

Once, Again




The first time I watched Once, I saw it twice.  It's true; I liked it that much.  I went to see it with some friends, came out, bought a piece of pizza cause I was hungry, went back in (this time alone) and watch it a second time.

In case you haven't heard, Once is a low budget, musically driven independent film that took Indie Film Land by storm about a year ago.  I saw it twice in one sitting, someone I know cried through the whole second half.  And not the cry because they can't wait to leave, but the cry because it woke something up in them.  The reason they could cry through the whole second half and not get yelled at by the person in front of them is because Once is about 75% music.  Because of this, some people have called it a musical.  I think this is misleading because it conjures up images of people doing coreographed dancing while singing tunes that are later made into Broadway musicals.  (or maybe it's the other way around)  In this case, first came movie, now comes concert tour....well actually first came the band, then came the movie starring people from the band who fell in love while making said movie, and now comes their lovebird tour of songs from the movie.  

The bottom line is GO SEE THE MOVIE and then GO SEE THEM LIVE!  They tour under the name The Swell Season.  And the crazy thing is that a great, great band named Iron & Wine is opening for them!  Two stellar bands, one moderately expensive price- but a great value nonetheless.  


The catch is they're only playing in 5 places in the US and then they go back over to Europe.  I happen to live in one of those places(Yay!  This is big new for Tucson btw).  However, I'll be in Seattle when they're in town (Boo, Hisss.  I didn't think I'd ever say that about me being in Seattle).

So all you droves of people in Tucson that follow this blog: Please go for me.  You won't regret it.

And if you happen to live in

          Austin, Dallas, Albequerque, San Diego or LA,

                                                         then count yourself lucky and get to it!

Tour dates and some song samples (start with Falling Slowly for a first taste).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, on another note, The Manhattan Film Festival is verified to be great, not only in theory but also in practice!  A fun night was had by all. 
  
If you live within an hour of a venue, seriously go to the film fest.  It's worth it.  (I'm talking to you Jeter)
If cant' make it, you can buy it on DVD here:  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Gasp! Such a tease!! I was SO excited to hear they are touring, then so sad to see that the east coast is getting the shaft. Sigh.

But I'm glad to see you're blogging and that the content is true to the name. Keep it up!

- Mari

Nettie said...

i'm going for the second time, you're not, this is sad...
and!!! i ate the chilis at in and out!!!!

Anonymous said...

after that first time i saw it with you all. i went back the next day [alone] and watched it again. it sent me into a self-reflective mood that lasted weeks upon weeks.

for weeks i walked her and there, ipod stuck in my ear listening to the songs from the film. thinking. thinking about the realness of that movie. the realness of life.

good times.
sad times i will miss them gracing tucson as well.

Red CANARY said...

That movie blew my mind.

Nomadtheo said...

Rymo, where are they touring in Europe? Ted

Ryan Moore said...

Ted,

Good question. Looks like the closest they're getting to you is Paris.

http://www.theswellseason.com/tour/

RyMo