Monday, September 22, 2008

The Manhattan Film Festival. in a city near you. if you're lucky.


Short Film Festivals are great.  Why?  Because if the film sucks, just wait a couple minutes and it'll be over.  Also, they have the same draw as ordering the Super Sampler at Applebees; you get to sample a little bit of everything and even if you didn't expect it, odds are you'll find something that you love.   

Every Short Film Festival I've been to has lead to the following:

-me not sitting at home alone and wondering what to do
-me sitting in the same room with edgy film festival types,  which makes me feel like I'm cool
-the smell of popcorn
-feeling uncomfortable by something on screen because I disagreed with it
-me laughing out loud
-feeling like I just found my new favorite little gem of a movie that made me want to live life more fully
-interesting discussions with the people I've gone with

Life doesn't get much better than the above folks.  So follow these links below and see what happens.

The Manhattan Film Festival probably already came to a city near you (if it came at all).  But if you catch this blog in time, it's worth it.  

Here's some upcoming dates that might be near some of you:

Anchorage 9-25 to 9-28
Santa Monica 9-26
Tucson 9-25
Durango 9-25
Chicago Suburbs 9-27 and 9-28
Ann Arbor 9-27
Montgomery 9-26
NYC 9-28
Lempaut, France 9-26 to 9-28
Buenos Aires  TBA

For those of you in Tucson, you better come.  What else are you going to do?  Really.
The Loft Cinema is our gracious host. 
Show starts at 7:30 this Thursday 9-25.  I'll be there by 7:15. 
Adults: $8:75     Students: $6.50
Oh and order the Pumpkin Ale.  It's the beer of the month and quite tasty for only $2.50.
http://www.loftcinema.com/node/471


Venues for the rest of the known world:




8 comments:

EMo said...

Not to critique your blog, but near the end you say, "Show starts 7:15 this Thursday 9-26." For the sake of all of your loyal readers, Thursday is the 25th. That would be a shame if hundreds of people showed up on Friday the 26th instead! :) The Loft wouldn't be expecting that many people and would probably run out of beer.

Ryan Moore said...

oh, good call eric! the dates have been corrected. for this bit of astute reading you've earned yourself a free pumpkin ale. But only if you come with me this Thursday (9-25)

Josh Jeter said...

Unlike your generous brother, I am more than happy to criticize your blog.

"The Chicago Suburbs" cannot fairly be called "Chicago." The IL screenings are in Wilmette.

Can a reader get a correction, please? Thank you.

Josh

Ryan Moore said...

Dear Josh,

Thank you for your feedback. Note the speedy correction I've made to the blog. Also, for your convenience, I've included a link to a map from Chicago to the "Chicago Suburbs."


http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=chicago,+il&daddr=1122+Central+Ave.+Wilmette,+IL+60091&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=41.979355,-87.696515&sspn=0.255221,0.427094&ie=UTF8&z=11&start=0

Josh Jeter said...

Dear Ryan,

Thank you.

Josh

Red CANARY said...

Rymo, another great post. If I lived near Tucson I would be all over the Manhattan Film Festival. I would also be all over the Pumpkin cold ones. For now, I'll just have to settle for the Todd's living room filmfest of old Captain Crusade movies and unedited versions of "Nothing" while drinking a non-pumpkined cold one.

Red CANARY

Midstreambend said...

Cool, I could actually go to this in Ann Arbor. I may be down there learning how to use a MAC that day. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

i am SO bummed. i was all excited. until i realized that the 25th .. tonight .. is in the fact the same evening i have to be stuck in traffic school. where none of the above listed will happen for me :(

enjoy it for me.