Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Herkimer means Awesome








Snow falls outside the window in front of me. I sit on my little stool facing the sky and its calming beauty. Between me and the snow sits one of the best shots of espresso the world has ever seen. It’s warm and carmelly and has a hint of sweetness that balances the otherwise earthy richness of the coffee flavor. There’s no hint of bitterness. And unlike espressos of lesser quality that are usually flat in their flavor profiles, this shot has a complexity of flavor that hits all the good places on your tongue and leaves wanting more and if that’s not enough, Herkimer gives you a small, delicious glass of sparkling water to accompany your espresso. I’ve never seen any other place do this.

Herkimer Coffee is my favorite coffee shop in Seattle.

This should mean a lot since I consider myself an afficionado of not just coffee but coffee shops. Herkimer has the whole package.

Atmosphere/Vibe- 9.5
Espresso quality- 10
Cleanliness- 10
Niceness of Baristas- 8.75
Music they play- 8.23
Good location- 8 (pub across the street, Red Mill Burger down the road)
Roasts own beans- YES
Free WiFi- You bet


This place is everything a coffee shop should be. A few other things that make it great:
-The Barista sings to every word of the Flaming Lips playing on the stereo
-A variety of places to sit for a variety of needs. Stools, boothes, tables. Alone, talking, groups you can do it all
-Clean bathrooms
-If you sit at the right place on a clear day you can see snow capped mountains
-Big windows with nice lighting in the afternoon
-I order and espresso and the barista takes time to ask how it was.
-Rotating art

Sure a lot of coffee shops have at least a few of the above. But this place really is more than the sum of its individual parts. You’ll just have to come and see.


View Guide to Good in a larger map

1 comment:

Susan Cepin said...

This place sounds amazing. I'll definitely plan it into my next Seattle adventure!