Thursday, March 26, 2009

Back to the Future



Sadly, this weekend I will be in Seattle.

For those of you who know me, right now you are probably wondering if someone has hijacked my Blogger account and taken me hostage. This is because everyone knows I LOVE Seattle. In fact, I don't think I've ever uttered a single sentence in my fleeting little life which has contained both the words "sadly" and "Seattle."

Until now.

Why? Because one of my fondest childhood movies is playing at the Loft this weekend. Back to the Future graces the silverscreen here in Tucson for 2 nights only. This Friday and Sat nights, 10p, $5. What a steal of a deal!

Back to the Future Highlights (feel free to add your own)
-The Delorean. I still want a car whose doors open upward.
-Flux Capacitor.
-Family slowly fading from photograph.
-Marti playing "Johnny Be Good." I like that song because of him.
-Skate Boarding. Prob responsible for countless broken arms across the world.
-George McFly:" Yes. Yes. I'm George, George McFly. I'm your density. I mean... your destiny."
-At the end of the movie when Marti drives off in the Delorean, then comes BACK. This time with Mr. Garbage on the back on the car, into which he throws a banana peal, AND THEN FLYS OFF! This was ridiculously exciting to me as a kid.
- Add your own



4 comments:

Laelia Watt said...

1. "Calvin"
2. The hovering skateboards. I used to try to imagine, with my middle school understanding of science, how we could actually invent them. The only idea I had was to discover Earth's magnetic field and making the skateboard the opposite "pole." The trick would be to make the magnet weak enough so you would just hover and not be repelled to outerspace. :D
3. The train scene in the Old West! Besides having a great crash and an awesome old train, they save the lady with...the hoverboard!

Anonymous said...

This was the first movie I went and watched with out adult supervision. For me "Back to the Future" couldn't have been any more perfect for this "first". The car, the girl!, his mom was hot! That guitar and speaker blowing up at the very beginning, the clocks, the skateboarding, the girlfriend, the toyota truck and camping by the lake... Part 2 and 3 lost a little magic when the first girl friend (Jenifer, right?) was replaced with another actress but she was set up as the same girlfriend... bad move, the first actress had the 80's going on, a charm that was lost in 2, and 3. I'll let you know if it ever come to the silver screen in SF, we can make a night of it.

The flucks capacitor

LoMo said...

88mph...so fast! there's no way though that a vw vanagon could catch up with a delorean. everything else is completely believable. "great scott!" it was epic ryan. should have skipped seattle.

Team Williams said...

Oh man, Back to the Future...clearly one of the greatest, most clever and most fun movies ever made. Gosh, highlights- where to begin? Let's see...

-Doc's reaction when the model car runs off the table and lights his garage on fire is CLASS-IC! I would rewind that scene all the time again & again.

-"I wanna know who's gonna pay for this. I spilled beer all over my tie when that guy smashed into me."
Oh, only Biff Tannen could utter that one & pull it off so well.

-"Save the clock tower- SAAAAVE the clock tower!"

-Anytime my friend Jared & I talk about how some plot of land was before it was built on, we ALWAYS revert back to "I remember when this was farmland as far as the eye could see. Old man Peabody owned all of this. He had this crazy idea of breeding pine trees..."

I could go on & on, but it's after midnight so I'd better stop. Sorry you missed it, Rymo.