Saturday, October 4, 2008

Thai Tom's. beyond good.


It always goes the same way for me. I fly into Seattle. I pull my bag from the turnstile, I traverse escalator to rental car, rental car to freeway, freeway to 45th Ave exit, park, walk, then (finally) Thai Tom’s. I approach the small door, usually there’s a line outside. Inside I sit down at on the small bar stool, my shoulders practically touching the people to either side of me as I squeeze in. I sit a behind the small bar, directly in front of me is the stove. Upon this humble gas stove such delights for the stomach are produced it boggles the mind! The Thai man in front of the stove moves with a flurry and an ease around his small kitchen. He is the miastro, the food his orchestra. You think I’m exaggerating, but it’s true. He employees a man who’s entire job is keep stocked the bins of veggies etc and to catch his used pans which he quickly swaps out with each new dish. Typically he’s furiously working on 4 or 5 dishes at once. Curries, noodles, and vegetables combine is a musical sizzling hiss. The thick aromas of spice and sauce are nearly too much for this hungry stomach to stand. With a flick of his wrist he tosses the contents of a wok into the air; a flame bursts from the stove casting its warmth on my smiling face.

I’m handed a heavy, wooden board that is the menu. I scan through it, knowing whatever I choose will be unbelievably tasty. Do I want a peanut sauce with chicken and vegetables or the Panang curry? Or maybe the Cashew Chicken? But then again the Swimming Rama is out of this world. I look to my right, as a student is using his chop stick to clean literally EVERY SINGLE curry covered rice grain from his bowl. I order. I wait.

And then I eat.

And my nose starts to run from the spice.

And sweat breaks out under my eyes.

And I’m in love…

A few pointers when you go:

-This is no gringo’s spice. They rank from 1 to 5 star of spice and they aren’t kidding around. I’ve gone as high as 9 stars and as low as 2. I’ve finally decided that 3 or 4 stars is plenty spicy while minimizing the price you’ll have to pay later.

-Don’t go with more than 3 people if you want anything approaching a conversation. Best to go alone or with one other person.

-The lines can be long.

-If you want your food fast, call your order in and even during the busiest times, you’ll have a steaming to-go package in 15 to 20 minutes or less.

-Honestly, I’ve never had anything on the menu that isn’t delicious. However, I would say the perfect meal at Thai Tom would be to share two dishes. Make one a peanut based sauce and the other a noodle based stir fry. One of my favorite combos is the Peanut Sauce veg paired with the Cashew Chicken.

-Oh, and cash only.





View Larger Map

7 comments:

Abby Green said...

Hey Ryan! I saw your blog address on facebook...and decided to subscribe! Um...cannot wait until we are in Seattle (no set date yet)...this dinnner is just what I need! I hope they serve milk, as I tend to need it with super spicey food. :)

Take Care!

EMo said...

I'm not sure about all of the peanuts, but otherwise that sounds delish!

Susan Cepin said...

Seriously. I've been to Thai Thom's, and it is THE BEST. I don't have much heat tolerance, so I go for 2 stars, and it's about all I can take. While being perfect in every tasty way.

Red CANARY said...

Josh took Holly and I to that place. It ruled. I think I had to sit on a bucket nearly in the kitchen while I ate my meal. It ruled! I loved how you mentioned the little sweat beads forming below your eyes when you eat spicy food. Hilarious.

Jessica said...

I want Thai Tom's!

ALL7997 said...

Hi Ryan ---
Long time no talk or write, I counldn't resist to say something when the picture showed up of a resturant I recongized. My sister-in-law lives in West Seattle and fell in love with Thai Tom's when she was at U of W. When we went to visit her 2 summers ago. Thom's was one place we had to go, per her recommendation. It was great, especially since West Michigan isn't the best place for thai. The atmosphere, the spices and the flavor: all awesome. Of all the places to eat so many people are drawn to a tiny thai place in Seattle it's crazy, it's that good I guess. We've come a long way from Michigan.
--- Alicia (Lashbook) Collins

Unknown said...

Ryan... sounds so delicious. Thanks for sharing, I have Thai Tom's on our weekend agenda.